Rainwater is an essential resource in both rural areas and cities across the country. Apart from homes, it is used by various industries as well. Depending on the location of the place, the degree of usage of the rainwater varies. Households in urban houses can also reduce the usage of water by utilizing a rainwater harvesting system. Poly rainwater tanks are a favourite option for most households.
The rural households must supply their water adequately on the property and for this application, the rainwater is more preferred. If there is no proper maintenance of the tank, the flow of water might overflow the tank and the end result will not be proper drainage. Thus, it is necessary to clean out all clogs and strains regularly to ensure proper working of the rainwater tank.
- The tank must be fitted with an overflow pipe that will remove the excess water to a drain.
- Typically, a drain gully is provided below the downpipe and it is necessary to ensure that the overflow pipe must not be smaller than the pipe which feeds water to the tank. It is important to clean these drains regularly to stop further complications from happening. By using some meshes or filters, it is possible that the water overflown from the tank can be directly sent to the downpipe.
- Do note that the tank overflow can cause severe sanitation problems and create a nuisance for both the user as well as the members around. It also aids the spread of water
- If the screen maintenance is not held properly and regularly, more water may overflow that may cause the foundations to erode away, and might overflow into the adjacent homes in the case of heavy downpours.
Therefore, the freshwater tank must be kept clean at all times and must not be overflown. If you are using the same water for cleaning and bathing purposes, this becomes even more crucial.
Tank overflow system is important for a healthy water setting
The overflow control devices available in the market nowadays has robust inbuilt mechanisms that check the water content levels and also manage when there is excess supply. Of course, in that regard, a rainwater tank pump is one of the basic necessity of controlling the water supply as it pushes water to your household, thus reducing the water level. They are typically checked with the use of overflow devices.
These devices help in protecting the backflow from the drains during storms. It is necessary to know the overflow levels of the rainwater tanks and that will help us to build an appropriate system. Initially, it may seem to be counter-intuitive, but overflowing a rainwater tank in such circumstances can help in creating the oxygenation and preventing ill storage and stagnation.
- A path is created for the water to exit.
- The particulates that typically float on the water are drained out.
Construction of an exit path is essential so that the tank does not overflow from the middle and it backs up the water levels through the pre – tank filter without having to create excess pressure on the water tank.
This gives greater control to the location
It is mostly through the PVC piping that the overflow is achieved. It must be ensured that the overflow devices which are purchased and used in the rainwater tanks are of high quality. In Indian villages in fact, the overflow is a common problem but they can be overcome through the use of quality materials, and knowledge of their usage.
General issues and Tips When Installing A New Rainwater Tank
You may need to lodge a Development Application and you might need to have your rainwater tank inspected by the Department of Fair Trading. In any case, below are several guidelines and common issues to help you anticipate problems that might appear.
Our advices for rainwater collection
- If you own bigger establishments such as the stadium in Docklands, Melbourne, for example, you will need a large tank. In such cases, consult with a builder or engineer, as it might require structural assistance.
- Have the tank installed by a plumber along with the tank maker. This can ensure the system works efficiently, and is easy to maintain.
- Lead-based paint and flashing, or tar-based coatings from some roofs may affect water quality. Make sure your roofing substance is non-toxic.
- A U-shaped gutter traps leaves and twigs. If at all possible, select water friendly gutters, or cover present gutters in netting.
- Attempt to get all plumbing relatively ‘dry’. This implies using a constant downward route so water can’t accumulate between flushes.
- Have all openings covered with a mosquito-proof mesh.
- Install a first flush diverter on the downpipe. This is particularly important in areas of high pesticide use or atmospheric contamination.
- A sump box involving the downpipe and the tank can slow the water flow down, separating out any sediment not formerly diverted.
- Make sure that the tank overflow outlet is connected back into the stormwater pipe or infiltration trench.
- Clean the inside of the tank every few years, as sediments will collect. A proper pipe relining is also necessary every few years to make sure everything runs smoothly.
- You might have to install a pump to supply sufficient water pressure for some appliances. Opt for the pump which is most suitable for the end consumer to reduce energy consumption (ie. Toilets or irrigation)
- Contemplate on using appliances which could operate using less pressure.
Issues related to rainwater use
There are a few important factors that can affect the quality of rainwater stored in tanks. These include:
- Water contamination from things on the roof as well as the pipe surfaces.
- Contamination from bird droppings, local contamination, and organic material accumulated on the roof.
- Breeding of mosquitos in the water source. Take note that if you own
- The quality of water that you need to maintain is dependent on how it is used. But water from rooftops that contain harmful compounds shouldn’t be used for anything. Drinking water must meet the criteria set by health authorities.
These quality problems can be overcome through the use of approved products and methods. Tanks and other equipment must satisfy the essential standards, and state health authorities will approve the most reputable contractors and manufacturers.